Microsoft support for Windows 7 is nearing the end

edited January 14 in General
After 10 years, Microsoft support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on 14 January 2020. 

Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 7 from Tuesday so that it can focus on "newer technologies".

As a result, Windows 7 users will no longer receive the all-important security updates and patches that keep their machines safe.

If perpetrators find a flaw in Windows 7, Microsoft will not fix it.

While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. 

AutoTRAX will still however work on Windows 7.
The developer of AutoTRAX DEX. 
·

Comments

• I think one good piece of advice is to have a really good antivirus  -  not a free one get a paid licence one, and do not open any email attachments that supposedly come from people ypou know. Always veryfy the email address.
    ·
  • This link suggests that it is still possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10  for free. The one issue may be the hardware requirements.
    ·
  • This link suggests that it is still possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10  for free. The one issue may be the hardware requirements.
    I think Microsoft ended that free update to Windows 10 a few years ago.
    ·
  • Iliya:
    Yes officially it ended in 2016 I believe but this article is dated today and says it still seems to work.This only upgrades to the same version so home to home or pro to pro. 

This link may help explain what works.
    ·
  • Sounds good to me :)
    ·
  • I upgraded my development machine, Surface Pro, and  Lenovo laptop from Windows 7 several years ago and they work fine. I find Window 10 to be remarkably stable and easy to use. It updates frequently (say once a month), but the updates don't take long.

The great thing about being on Windows 10 is that all future updates will be free; even I believe when Windows 11 comes out - if there ever will be such a beast.

A great side-effect with Windows 10 for DEX users is that the.Net framework is always the latest. That enables me to build DEX to use the latest .Net version. However, I'll have to wait a few months first before doing so is there will always be a few Windows 7 machines out there.
    ·
  • Iliya said:
    I upgraded my development machine, Surface Pro, and  Lenovo laptop from Windows 7 several years ago and they work fine. I find Window 10 to be remarkably stable and easy to use. It updates frequently (say once a month), but the updates don't take long.

The great thing about being on Windows 10 is that all future updates will be free; even I believe when Windows 11 comes out - if there ever will be such a beast.

A great side-effect with Windows 10 for DEX users is that the.Net framework is always the latest. That enables me to build DEX to use the latest .Net version. However, I'll have to wait a few months first before doing so is there will always be a few Windows 7 machines out there.
    I believe Microsoft is copying Apple's strategy for the OS. Apple used to charge for new versions but I believe now they don't.
    ·
  • I think one good piece of advice is to have a really good antivirus  -  not a free one get a paid licence one, and do not open any email attachments that supposedly come from people ypou know. Always veryfy the email address.
    An antivirus program will not save you from security holes in the OS.
    ·