Edge Connectors

Coming soon. Parametric edge connectors.
These are parts the are glued to an edge.
You can set the PCB as fixed to the connector when designing the PCB. This allows you to define the PCB so when the part is dragged onto a schematic; it sets the PCB.

The developer of AutoTRAX DEX. 
·

Comments

• Yes, doubled sided option.

·
  • As promised:

·
    ·
  • I am trying out your edge connector. I have a few comments.

1. The symbol pins should be on the same side of the symbol box and numbered sequentially top to bottom. Yes it is easy to modify the symbol but I should not have to.

2. It would be very useful if notches at each end could be part of the part to allow the connector to slip onto the PCB, also a notch for a key. Obviously they would automatically be added to the PCB. It should be possible to place the edge connector either flush with the PCB hence the notches at the edges or protruding from the PCB edge therefore no notches needed except for the key.

3. I should be able to keep the pin numbers in order on the symbol but have the PCB pads Odd numbers on top in order and even numbers on the bottom as an example.

·
  • When it comes to finishing off the edge connector you would name the connections. e.g.

It is easy to customise the edge connector into a complete board.

Don't forget to check this:

·
  • edited November 2019
    NOTE: As you renumber, you can switch view from top to bottom.

·
  • Here's the Edge Connector (Board) added to a project by dragging from the library.

project
    project
    edge project.project
    ·
  • Coming soon : gold plated edge connectors.

·
  • Optional Gold Done.

·
  • edited November 2019
    Gold plating requires an extra gerber file that represents the gold plated parts. Is this what you mean with this?
    ·
  • I can't find any way to specify gold plating in the latest download of DEX (2019.11.21).  I do see that gold and silver are selectable in the Package Surface Material field of the Part Builder.  Perhaps this will control the on-screen color, but I was assuming, as Bengt says, that there would be a new gerber file (and associated layer?) that provided the geometries that would be gold plated. 
    Cheers,
    Don

·
  • Gold Plated Pads

• All  Footprints have optional gold plating.
    • All  Pads have optional gold plating.
    • Gerber output of top and bottom gold plating files.

See properties panel
    ·
  • OK, now with version 2019.11.24 there is the option to add gold plating to a selected pad or pads, and additional gerber layers (top, bottom or both) appear if any pads have gold plating added.

Nice!   I have no idea what this would add to a board fab price, but I do have an application in mind so I might find out soon.
    Cheers,
    Don

·
  • Hi Iliya,

Is it possible to have the bottom row of edge connectors one pad less than the top row and offset by 50% of the spacing?

Why?

I am glad you asked..

I have , in the past, used such a design for solder tail DB25 connectors mounted onto the edge of the PCB and soldered to the PCB itself. See the attached part

Kind Regards,

Mick
    part
    part
    DB25F-Solder.part
    ·
  • nginear49 said:
    OK, now with version 2019.11.24 there is the option to add gold plating to a selected pad or pads, and additional gerber layers (top, bottom or both) appear if any pads have gold plating added.

Nice!   I have no idea what this would add to a board fab price, but I do have an application in mind so I might find out soon.
    http://www.omnicircuitboards.com/blog/bid/337154/understanding-pcb-manufacturing-hard-gold-plating

With gold at ~ $1500 per troy ounce.
    This quote cose ~ $40 for the gold in 50 boards

2.png
    524 x 358 - 25K
    ·
  • bigmik said:
    Is it possible to have the bottom row of edge connectors one pad less than the top row and offset by 50% of the spacing?

Easy enough to make a 26-pin footprint, 13 pads on each side, then delete one pad and move the remaining 12 pads as a group to the center spacing of the other side.
    Cheers,
    Don

·