Solder Mask

I have 4 rectangular through pads on the PCB and I need to remove the solder mask from the bottom side of the pcb.

Is there a simple way?

Thanks

Paul

·

Comments

• Sorry

I am new at this.

I have 4 through hole pads in my PCB design.

I need to cover them on the bottom of the PCB so that they do not short out to the metal housing.

How do i do that?

·
  • Sounds like that you have a hole that you can't put anything into. Haven't considered SMD?

And even if you do cover them your isolation will only depend of the solder mask.You should design safer than that. Make a distance or put some other thicker isolation there. Or mill out an area of the metal housing to create an air pocket.
    ·
  • I am placing thermal conductive but electrical isolation material between the pcb and the metal housing but want to place solder mask on the through hole pads on the bottom for increased design safety and cannot figure out how to do that. 

Can I manually place solder mask on a through hole pad on the bottom of the pcb?
    ·
    1. Make the TPH a SMT.
    2. Add vias
    3. On bottom add your copper shape with graphics e.g. rectangle, ellipse or polygon.
    Note, if it is not a SMT, you would have to add solder paste graphics on the solder paste  layer.
    TPH pads do not automatically have solder paste, SMT pads do.
    The developer of AutoTRAX DEX. 
    ·
  • I am still not able to get rid of solder paste on the top.

Please help
    project
    project
    sample-1.project
    ·
  • On the top rectangle
    ·
  • Are you telling me you don't want solder paste for your SMD?

The developer of AutoTRAX DEX. 
    ·
  • the 5 rectangular pads are to solder wire to so i do not want solder paste on any of them and i do not need a hole to place the wire in as it will just be laying on th top of the pcb..

If i use a solder pour i seem to have a similar problem.

·
  • I think i got it using copper pours.

sometimes it just takes time to sink in.
    ·
  • When I select your pad, on the properties panel near the top there is an 'add solder paste' tickbox, which is ticked by default. Just untick it should work without having to use a pour..

Also in that group is the option for removing the soldermask cutout for the pad, allowing a pad to have soldermask over it.-I understand you wish to provide an additional isolation to thermal transfer film.

If you ask for tented vias when ordering the boards the vias should end up with soldermask over them. I can't see an option in DEX to tent or remove soldermask cuttout from vias (someone please confirm these?)

BTW, when viewing in 3D board is truncated at DS39. Iliya: Is there a 240ish mm limit on 3d?
    ·
  • 3d viewing problem solved by zooming out in PCB window.
    ·
  • Thanks Rixen

That was great help and very clear on what to do
    ·