PCB Layout

I am wondering if what I did between DS3 and DS4 is legal.

If I try using a trace I get a message that I am too close to the hole or too close to the edge of the PCB.

I hope that this is an ok work around.
project
project
Layout of Right Section Outside Strip.project
·

Comments

• Can't check your design now but you know that you can modify the Design Rules? Depending on how or who is making your PCB you might want to reduce the default values.
    ·
  • I am wondering if what I did between DS3 and DS4 is legal.

If I try using a trace I get a message that I am too close to the hole or too close to the edge of the PCB.

I hope that this is an ok work around.

It is not OK. Your tracks are too close. The DRC is saving you from a disaster.

However, your design rules may be too restrictive.
    The developer of AutoTRAX DEX. 
    ·
  • DRC violation effectively say do this:
    1. your board will not work or 
    2. your manufacturing yield will be low and/or 
    3. your boards will be unreliable.
    ·
  • Or just expensive
    ·
  • Bengt said:
    Or just expensive
    Or career changing :(

·
  • edited September 2019
    more likely the fab house will just bounce your design back to you.

You are asking if using the fill instead of a track is fine. In my view, yes, but I would usually put a token track in anyway to confirm connection.

I don't think there is enough copper around the outside of the hole (too thin).

The following may or may not be issues
    This looks like it will be a mounting hole, just make sure you consider the effect of the screw head potentially mashing through the solder mask and shorting that node to whatever the screw is attached to. It may also break the copper.

A standard M3 pan screw head is going to get very close to the solder of DS3/DS4

Nylon washers can minimise these issues (as you may well already know)

·
  • how do i change the design rules as the design house says they can meet .01" but preferr somewhere between .01" to .02"
    ·
  • On the Tools toolbar, there is the design rules buttons (check, clear errors, view errors). bottom right of this panel is a small icon that will allow you to view all the rules
    ·
  • Thanks

The design rule checker says 0.15 for track to Track and I have .508 and .6.
    What am i missing

·
  • the .508 and the.6 are from the track to thr board edge.
    ·
  • edited September 2019
    Track to border rule? default is 1mm
    The fab house I use specifies +/-0.25mm for board edge position
    ·
  • Avoid going so close to the board. If you do, you will have to specify to the manufacturer there they are not allowed to place "mouse bites", the break off connections, in case you make a panel. Otherwise they might drill in your track if you are unlucky.
    ·
  • edited September 2019
    Changing copper pour does not seem to work correctly. When I pick the copper pour between DS3 and DS4 it immediately changes layer to Bottom Copper/Blue. The properties panel does not show the change. When I change the size by moving the top edge I do see an outline but the pour does not change in size. I am running 2019.9.28

Update.
    I forgot that you need to use the fill command to change the fill area. It does go back to the top layer after the fill command is executed. It has been a while since I have use the Pour command.
    ·
  • DS3 and DS4 of what?
    ·
  • Of props54636 project above.
    ·
  • Of props54636 project above.
    Can't see it.
    ·