Forum within Dex app?

This type of forums are extremely useful for help and improvement of the program. But Dex suffer from the same problem as many other softwares - there are but a few of the users that takes their time to contribute in the forum.
How about adding a small box (optional of course) to the software itself that shows just one line of the forum.The latest topic.
If it occupies very little space people maybe let it stay enabled and it might push users to use the forum. Clicking the subject links directly to the forum of course.
·

Comments

• edited August 2019
    This forum has often been used as a bug reporter.
    I also use it to announce changes.

As DEX gets better, less bugs :) Less posts.

To my disappointment I get very little feedback. e.g. Radial Menus. But maybe that is because nobody right clicks, otherwise they would say 'I like them' or 'I hate them'.

Yesterday only 11 visitors. Only 58 visitors this year.
    Youtube has 1,2002 subscribers. 325,762 views.

Facebook and Twitter are terrible. Layout on both is a jumble and poor.

Several time I have bee tempted to close this forum and use YouTube and Newsletter.
    The developer of AutoTRAX DEX. 
    ·
  • edited August 2019
    Youtube had 1,564 views in the last 28 days.
    So far today, this forum has only had 6 visitors :(
    ·
  • Yes, and if the software had 1000+ users my idea was maybe a method to improve it.
    ·
  • While recently I have been less active on the forum than in the past, my use of DEX remains important to me, and I read every email that I get (which contains the name of the commenter and the title).  When something strikes me as useful or interesting, I'll log in to catch up.  

Recently I posted a question / suggestion, and in hours there was a software update that eliminated my concern. I feel the forum is useful, and there is a lot of useful history in the long list of posts.  My vote would be to keep it even though not many daily visits.
    Cheers,
    Don

·
  • Absolutely! But if we can increase the number of users it would be good. If you on daily basis could see forum topics it might encouraged some new users.
    ·
  • Bengt said:
    Absolutely! But if we can increase the number of users it would be good. If you on daily basis could see forum topics it might encouraged some new users.
    There are 530 users.
    Only 11 visited in the last 48 hours.
    ·
  • How many users have an email notification? during the week I mostly check if something interesting comes in via e-mail and only visit the page when something sounds interesting or when there are a lot of emails which usually indicates that something interesting is going on. I fully agree with Bengt, increasing the number of users will be a good thing, I‘d propose something similar to what you see in most development environments today, the main of the app screen is filled with latest Blog entries or latest posts from the forum, a click on the topic then brings you to the article in the forum/blog You‘d have to check if articles can be reached without beeing logged in and change your statistis to include anonymous hits, not only hits from registered users. The number of posts here is compareable to other small forums, the really active forums I monitor have 5000+ Users and on forums of around 15000+ Users I only subscribe to topics I am interested in because complete traffic is just too much on those forums.
    ·
  • So you don't think it is a good idea to advertise the forum from within DEX?
    ·
  • Bengt said:
    So you don't think it is a good idea to advertise the forum from within DEX?
    There is this:

1.png
    395 x 381 - 90K
    ·
  • Not sure why, but for me this seems to be a bit quicker to bring up the Forum, page.  Though not needed as I have the web entry bookmarked in the Bookmark menu line of Firefox.
    ·
  • edited August 2019
    Iliya said:
    There is this:

Yes but it is far from what I suggested. I suggested something on the normal workview, MiR suggested the now very common blog/forum list on a start-up screen.

I think I also like the idea of a start-up screen best. It is a perfect place for the latest forum posts.as well as reading about latest changes and news. I can't see a real good place on the work view for a forum advertisement but as an alternative to a start screen (if you don't like that idea, you haven't said anything about it) how about a pop-up window similar to a start-up screen but that disappears as soon as you click somewhere else?

Nothing of this is needed, I was just thinking on ways to increase forum users. The idea is that if they can see not just a link to the forum (that needs a separate registration) but also the topics more people might be interested.
    ·
  • I know you like the forum, but I think most users just want to get on with designing.

I am not a member of any forum except this. 

Some of the post here would be a PR disaster if I put them on the Splash-Screen.

There's an old saying:

'Don't wash your dirty laundry in public.'

Google it!
    ·
  • I would be very depressed if the forum disappeared.

It has been extremely helpfuk in my learning how to use DEX.
    ·
  • I don't think this forum is any different from others I have been on. Maybe that you Iliya are more directly involved since it is small.

There are bad things on all forums but usually other users take care of it smoothly and also report posts that breaks the forum rules.

More users on the forum will primary be for feedback for future development and user support. Hopefully new users will not start using the forum only for a secondary channel for bug reports.
    ·
  • edited August 2019
    Bengt said:
    I don't think this forum is any different from others I have been on. Maybe that you Iliya are more directly involved since it is small.

There are bad things on all forums but usually other users take care of it smoothly and also report posts that breaks the forum rules.

More users on the forum will primary be for feedback for future development and user support. Hopefully new users will not start using the forum only for a secondary channel for bug reports.
    It has been used, and still is used, as the primary bug reporter. 
    ·
  • For med DEX would be much more boring without the forum.

Another reason for such few users in the forum can be that you more or less must google it to find it. I can't find it at all on the home page anymore. I would like the Forum to have its own tab but at least it should be on the support tab.
    ·